Pet Passports

Information for taking your pet abroad


You may want to travel abroad with your dog, cat or ferret under the pet travel scheme, in which case it will need to be issued with a pet passport. This is done following the protocol below.

  • Your pet must first be microchipped.
  • The pet is then given a rabies vaccination.
  • We can then issue a passport (blood samples are no longer required for countries involved in the pet travel scheme).
  • You must wait 21 days after the date of the rabies vaccine before you can travel abroad within the European Union (EU) or listed non-EU countries (see DEFRA website) and return into the United Kingdom.

Tick and tapeworm treatment will be required 1-5 days before returning to the UK. See DEFRA website for current details.

Depending on your destination and other countries you may travel through on your way to the destination, other rules may apply. It is very important to remember that it is your responsibility to check current regulations well before you travel as rules may have changed.

Other Considerations

You may need to consider other more specific health risks for particular areas eg; sandfly in southern Europe which transmits Leishmaniasis for which a Scalibor collar can give some protection.

If your pet is older or has any health issues we can arrange a health check before you decide to take your pet abroad.

Back to Pet Advice